Tuesday, October 5, 2010

RANT: That Mom

I can't do it... I really don't want to.

I think they're gone for the day anyway so I can wait until tomorrow.  Besides, I'm busy.

I've never wanted to be that Mom.  I don't want to picket.  I don't want to hire a lawyer.  However, I really want the school to stop giving Seth sugar!

Exhibit A:



That was Christmas morning after 3 cinnamon rolls ... the cinnamon rolls weren't frosted!

Maybe you didn't believe me when I said in I Don't Have Good Kids that I don't give my kids sugar.  Really, I don't sweeten their yogurt or oatmeal.  We only bake cookies every 3 or 4 months at which time they each get 1.  They do get a cookie at the grocery store if I dare take them with me... once a month.  So aside from birthday parties, really, they don't eat sugar.  Cheerios and Kix have about 3 grams of sugar per serving.  That's what they get.  Milk has lactose (also a sugar) so that's enough for their little bodies.  They only get juice at their friends' houses, and I don't even put J on their PB&Js!!!

However, my son is in preschool.  They feed him lunch.  Two weeks ago he came home with something all over his shirt.  I smelled it.  Lo and behold, it was SYRUP.  The lunch menu said that they had French toast sticks... FOR LUNCH.  Last week, he came home with chocolate all over his face.  The menu said they had brownies. 

Why do they get dessert with lunch at the age of FOUR?
That's setting them up for a lifetime of bad eating habits. 
I know because I'm 31 and I'm still trying to break some bad habits!

I hoped that Seth's increased activity in the afternoons was due to his excitement.  After all, riding the bus and hanging out with his buddies sans Mommy at age 4 is a pretty big deal.  But I've come to the conclusion that his hyperactivity when he gets home from school is inexorably linked to school lunches. 

Today, he told me they had juice.
(Why I oughta.)

If you think I'm employing hyperbole (which is encouraged on my blog), then you come hang out in my 900 square foot house with four children four and under.  You get Seth off of the bus when he's amped up on sugar and throw in a little "Seth's home" excitement.  You manage the pure mayhem while nursing the 6 month old.  Then, you try to put them all down for naps while your bloodsugar crashes and the phone rings.  I dare you.  I double dog dare you. 

No takers?

I didn't think so.

I'll be giving someone the what-for sooner than later.  I'm going to wait though.  Right now, I would be complaining for selfish reasons... because I don't have the energy to keep up.  Until I'm just "calling this to their attention" "for the sake of the teachers and bus drivers" and in order to "foster a better learning environment," I'll keep my big mouth shut. 

I knew I would be that Mom... that's why I really want to homeschool.

2 comments:

  1. I think sugar in school lunches has something to do with federally mandated calorie counts. (I know!) Bring it up - you're not That Mom. Not for this anyway. :) Certainly they have other kids who can't eat certain things due to intolerances or allergies - maybe they have a low-sugar lunch option? Or, at the very least, they could give him water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not selfish reasons based on your energy. It's also your concern for his lifetime well-being. When you homeschool, you and I can have more in common. :)

    ReplyDelete