Friday, October 22, 2010

Child Lock

They put them on appliances for a reason.  My front loading washer is just a little too tempting to little fingers.  It's at eye-level and it makes a pretty dinging noise.  Plus, they're at the age they want to be helpful.  Unfortunately, when they push the buttons, I have to start the load all over again with new soap and everything not knowing where in the cycle it is. 

Please do not misunderstand.  I love my front loader.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.  However, I can't seem to remember to put the child lock on. 



Did Korynne get in trouble for trying to put her accident soaked pants in the washing machine?  Well... No, of course not.  At our house, we try to make a distinction between childhood curiosity and childish mannerisms (buttons at eye level, a laptop left on the end table, spilled milk, water all over the bathroom, etc...) vs.  disobediance and defiance (fit throwing, destructive behavior, violence toward another child, "No", etc...).

Being willfully naughty is a punishable offence.  Being a precocious child is not. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree....BUT when you have an 8 year old acting so childish it becomes annoying...well, you'll be there someday. The thought will run through your head, "This isn't cute anymore, can I discipline for this??"

    But yours? Well, they are still cute! And so is mine, except when...she's not. :)

    ReplyDelete