Friday, September 21, 2012

Mommy Fail: Ferdinand

The Story of Ferdinand.jpg
Image Credit: Wikipedia


A few weeks ago, I was reading The Story of Ferdinand with the kids.  After we read it, I showed them the globe and where we were and where Spain is.  We talked about how people around the world do things differently. 



To broaden their cultural awareness, I Googled "Spanish Bullfight".  The top headlines caught my eye, something about "Bullfights will be allowed on television for the first time in six years".  And then I found what I was looking for on YouTube.  The children huddled around me and my Smartphone and we watched and learned... together.



(The following images are from Google Images.)

 

Mommy: See, kids, the bull chases the Matador because he has a red cape.



 
Mommy: The bull chases him.  It's like they're dancing.
Kids:  Do they hurt the bull?
Mommy:  No, they just dance together.  


 
  
Mommy: See, they're still dancing. 
My Internal Dialogue:  Um... what's that poking out of the bull's back?


Mommy:  And there's more dancing.
My Internal Dialogue: Oh no, that's his sword in the bull's back.  Do they kill the bull?


 

Mommy:  So, I was wrong.  They do actually kill the bull.    
Kyle: [from the other room who tuned in just in time NOT to rescue me from myself] What?  You thought they just danced with the bulls?  Bwa ha ha ha ha Bwa ha ha.  Really? [writhing in laughter]  Bwa ha ha ha ha...  
Kids: [look at Mommy with incredulity as if to say, "I don't care what other cultures do, I'm too young to see that kind of violence."]  Let's go to bed.
My Internal Dialogue:  Oh... that's why the Spanish banned it from television.  It's too violent for young children. 


You can't make this stuff up.





No comments:

Post a Comment